GetRight - Home|
GetRight®ToGo for Game Developers and Distributors
Games can be huge. With a CD or DVD sized file for your users to download, GetRightToGo
can provide you with many benefits. Imagine people finishing 1GB, then having a problem and they
have to restart from the beginning--a huge waste
of their time and your bandwidth!
And realistically, if somebody finishes 1GB (often taking hours) then has to restart
from the beginning, not everybody will restart!
With GetRightToGo, that is not a problem. Create your own download manager for your games.
- Reduce your Bandwidth.
- All your customers will be able to resume downloads if any errors occur.
Nobody will be restarting the download from the beginning, wasting your bandwidth
and their time.
- GetRightToGo can include checksums, so in the unlikely event of a problem,
it can identify and only re-download the section of the file with an error, without
having to restart everything from scratch. A user wouldn't even be aware that this was needed...the only obvious change might be the file progress went from 29% back to 28% while it had to redownload the section.
- The GetRightToGo built downloader is very small, around 350KB.
A single screenshot of the game could be bigger than that!
- There is the ability to do a custom "Startup" page in the downloader where a user must enter a registration code before starting the download.
If you want to limit the downloads to paying customers, this is
a great way--games can be huge, so preventing someone who
hasn't purchased from downloading can save a lot of bandwidth and money. (How To.)
- You can customize the download application so it looks like something you created.
- GetRightToGo can include your own names, logos, icons, etc.
- You can even create a totally customized user interface--match your website or game exactly!
- These web-page-based custom user interface options can let you make a very
attractive downloader themed right for your game. These are all built HTML, so
you get to use all your in-house knowledge and experience. Nothing new to learn at all!
(Or of course we can help build them for you--we've done several game download
manager designs already! You can Contact us about consulting.)
- Make it easy for your users.
- To avoid problems with some people's computers, you should
keep individual files to below 2GB in size. (Why? Depending on how the disk is
formated, Windows can limit the maximum size of one file to 2GB.
Even if the main hard drive is FAT32, USB drives may not be!)
- So, not only could people need to download files over 1GB in size...they might
need to download several!
- GetRightToGo can do this so it is utterly transparent to the user. They
would just see a progress bar (or two, both "This File" and "All Files".) As one
finishes, it will just switch to the next file in the set. The current builds
can support up to 100 files--and just contact us if you ever would need more than that!
- Use the download time to your advantage.
- Even on a fast connection a file that is a GB or larger will take time
to download. You can use that time to benefit.
- You could:
- Show a tutorial or tips about gameplay during the download.
- Show images about the game or change the background over the time
to keep the download interesting.
- Have "Buy Now" links...so people can get their registration codes and be
ready when the download completes.
- Give incentives to buy or play. "Unlock this character by ____!"
- Minimal changes.
- GetRightToGo applications fit into the download process...instead of
using their web browser or another tool to download the whole file, they use GetRightToGo.
- You do not have to change your URLs, your server, your installer or anything in your program.
- GetRightToGo builds completely standalone EXEs. There is nothing for your users to install or uninstall,
just a single small EXE to download and run! When the download is done, the EXE can simply be deleted.
If you're a game developer or publisher, you probably want a nice list of features.
Or just download the builder tool and give it a try before you buy!
©2018 Headlight Software, Inc.
GetRight® is a registered trademark of Headlight Software, Inc.